Thursday, January 28, 2010

My Secret Love

I have a confession to make and I'm ready to go public. (Although, I'm pretty sure Rob has already guessed.)

I'm in love with...my immersion blender.
Isn't it cute?

You can't really blame me, though. Winter is just so much better when it includes this, or this, or this, or, most importantly, this.

Lately, when almost every dinner has been of the liquid variety, I've started to think I might actually have a serious problem. But last night we made this, and then Rob assured me that my secret love is no problem at all.
Potato and Leek Soup with Spinach, Sausage and Parmesan
(adapted from How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman)

Serves 4-6

Ingredients:
  • 2 Tbsp butter or extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 medium/large potatoes, any type, cut up into small cubes
  • 3 leeks, white and light green parts only, washed and sliced into thin rings
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 quart vegetable stock or water, preferably warmed
  • A couple handfuls of baby spinach (optional)
  • A couple links of sausage, casings removed (optional)
  • A handful of fresh parsley, roughly torn (optional)
  • A light grating of Parmesan (optional)
Directions:
  1. Put butter or oil in a large, deep saucepan over medium heat. When the butter melts or the oil is hot, add the leeks. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the leeks are nice and tender, about 5-10 minutes.
  2. Add the potatoes and stock and cook until the vegetables are very tender, about 20 minutes.
  3. In the last few minutes of cooking, stir in the spinach leaves.
  4. Blend soup until thick and chunky.
  5. In a separate frying pan, crumble a few (about 4) links of sausage and cook until browned. Drain and stir into the soup.
  6. Serve soup and garnish with parmesan and parsley.
  7. Thank your lucky stars you have an immersion blender

7 comments:

Megan Holdaway said...

I'm in love with mine too! It can blend anything so much quicker than a blender. Thank you for going public with this :)

Unknown said...

so the rest of us without this fancy tool just have to be jealous? how about some recipies you love that dont require that? I am running out of dinner ideas...

Unknown said...

I really need to get one of those. Although, then my blender might stop feeling loved. :)

Kate said...

I love mine too! so much easier and cleaner to use this than an actual blender.
I used mine last night for a delicious batch of tomato basil tortellini soup, blended sans tortellini. It makes all the difference!

The Wigginton Family said...

I agree with Rob. Secret love of the immersion blender (AKA making fabulous soups for family and friends to enjoy); no problem at all! Thanks again for the soup. It was so delicious and warming for my sick little soul!

Janie Mann said...

Krista-I agree, I love my immersion blender too. Blended soups rock, I can't wait to try some of your links the recipes look great. Thanks for sharing.

Natalie said...

Did someone say spinach? This soup looks so good. I will be making it this week. :) Miss you!