Monday, October 26, 2009

The Perfect Remedy...

If, like me, you're faced with a day that dawns overcast, windy, and cold enough to know that winter is a comin', I highly suggest you make yourself a big pot of this:
Creamy Red Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup

It is Deeeeeeelish. You should make it. You'll be happy you did. I promise.


Serves 4


1 Tbsp olive oil
2 small (or 1 medium) onions, chopped
1/2-1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2-1 teaspoon ground ginger
4 cups broth
2 or 3 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
3/4 cup red (or pink) lentils, rinsed
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Freshly-ground pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon salt
Optional Garnish: Paprika or smoked paprika sprinkled on each bowl

Heat the olive oil in a large-ish saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes.

Stir in the spices and cook, stirring to make sure they don't burn, for about 1 minute.

Add the broth, sweet potatoes, and lentils. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, uncovered, or until the lentils and sweet potatoes are tender.

Add the lemon juice, salt and pepper.

Process with a hand immersion blender right in the pot, or in a blender or food processor, until creamy.

Serve hot with paprika for a garnish.

4 comments:

Sarah Lenhart said...

Oooh, that sounds really good. Especially since I heard that Cheyenne's getting at least six inches of snow this week. :)

Janelle said...

I am totally going to make this. In fact, I fortuioustly clicked on your blog right before I placed my online grocery order. Yum. If you like to cook, check out Our Best Bites. It is my new favorite food blog -- I particularly recommend the Cinna-bun popcorn.

Mama KK said...

Yum!

Linkous said...

Know what we're having for dinner tomorrow! I even have everything I need already, how perfect is that?