Sunday, January 31, 2010

Dance Through the Decades

Last night our ward put on a great activity: A Dance Through The Decades where everyone had to come sporting gear from the past. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to play dress-up!
There is a great store here called Primark that sells "fashion" clothing at cheap prices. The thing is, it seems like 40% of the clothing is either straight from the 80s or covered in sequins.
(Verland's gold-sequined beret on the bottom left....from Primark!)

As a rule, I avoid clothing in neon. But, as another rule, no eighties outfit is complete without neon. So I went for it. I found orange keds, a bright blue shirt, and a nice purple pair of shades. After some negotiation, Rob agreed to rock some nice baby blue aviators with his collar popped and to sport some white keds.
At the dance we realized our outfits couldn't really compete with some others (look at James and Heather below), but we did learn a British version of the hokey-pokey (very fun), and some other new dances.
By the end of the night I was pretty attached to my side-pony and the shades. Unfortunately, when I told Rob how much I liked our new look, he said he didn't want to be anywhere near my purple sunglasses in public. I guess that means my 80s revival tour is going to have to go solo.

5 comments:

Megan Holdaway said...

How fun! That guy James in the last picture looks like a guy I studied abroad with. Was he in London Winter 2005 by any chance?

Unknown said...

haha you look awesome. happy birthday chica!!

Linkous said...

Looks like a blast! Bet they had some fun music that Matt would have killed the karaoke for :)

Natalie said...

Christa, way to ditch your no neon rule. :) You guys look hot, Paula Abdul has nothing on you! :) And yes, Kit is right (or maybe Kev) Matt knows every 80's song ever written.

Sara said...

You really look the 80's part. But, now that the 80's back in high fashion, I'm not sure your outfit is considered "dress-up." Looks like you both are having a blast out there!