Monday, December 14, 2009

Florence: The Art (and Gelato) Capital of Italy

First of all, I'm not really sure how we get away with naming Firenze, "Florence" in English, but we did.
Second of all, when they say that Florence is the "Art Capital of Italy," I don't think they're just referring to paintings or sculpture--everything in Florence seems to be artwork. The buildings are beautiful, the displays in shop windows are beautiful, the people are beautiful, even the gelato is beautiful in Florence!
Rob and I wanted to get a feel for all that Florence had to offer so we saw a lot of artwork (highlight definitely being Michelangelo's David), did a little shopping, and did a lot of people watching.
I also made sure we got a good sample of the gelato...purely for cultural purposes, of course.
Moving on (I know, food is kind of a theme with me), we spent our last afternoon walking across the Arno River and hiking up to a piazza that had a view of the entire city. We watched the sun set and started planning the next day's adventure: Cinque Terre.



4 comments:

The Wigginton Family said...

I'm so glad you're having such a fabulous time. I love reading your updates...and seeing all the phenomenal photos. And PS...do you think you could pack some of that gelato in your suitcase for me? I would like hazelnut and chocolate...and maybe a little raspberry too!

Linkous said...

So gorgeous! Rob, you've got skills :) Photography, picking a great wife, picking a great law program that lets you flit and fleetly flee across Europe...I'm loving every minute from my seat in Draper :).

Natalie said...

Now you know why my email address was iloveitaly for 10+ years! :) I LOVE that country, the people, the food, the sights, the sounds...opera lady is classic! :) Florence and Cinque Terre? Could more beautiful places exist? Nope. :) We're so glad you guys get to have all these fun adventures! Wish we were there too! Rob, great photos!

Mama KK said...

Oh, how we all love Italy! I think it is the light that makes everything so lovely there...and why all the artists and sculptors and architects did their best work there! And you two are the loveliest of all! Love, Mom