Sunday, December 20, 2009

All Roads Lead to Rome

When we planned our Italy trip, we knew we were going to go to Rome because of all of its historic sites, but we weren't too excited about spending time in the city. Well, after 3 days (and 4 nights) in Rome, we were completely charmed and didn't want to leave!
After visiting Rome, I've discovered 2 new loves.

First new love: Gian Lorenzo Bernini, an Italian sculptor in the 1600s. We went to the Borghese Gallery and saw a few of his sculptures up close. Bernini made marble glow and come to life. I'm no art critic, but I was amazed at the emotion he captured in stone. Pictures I'm finding don't really do his work justice, and Rob wasn't allowed to take pictures in the museum, so you'll have to take my word for it.

Second love: Italian Opera. We had a little taste of it in Florence with our random street singer, but Rome took things to a whole new level. Walking home on Wednesday night, Rob and I heard beautiful opera singing down the street.
The city puts on free cultural events leading up to Christmas and that night they had 4 of Rome's premier opera singers performing outdoors in front of the Piazza di Spagna. We squeezed into the crowd, found seats right in front, and sat there for an entire hour. It. Was. Awesome.

So, if any of you are closet opera fans and have any recommendations to further our opera-education, we'd appreciate it!
Other things I'd recommend: St. Peter's Basilica--totally awe inspiring; the Colosseum--crazy to imagine it packed full of bloodthirsty Romans; last (but not least, of course) Giolliti's Pistachio gelato--out of this WORLD.

3 comments:

Janie Mann said...

Christa-I love watching your journey through Eurpoe! Thanks for all of the updates. I saw La bohème at BYU actually and loved it...

Suzannah said...

I'm so glad you discovered Giolitti's! Watermelon and kiwi were my favorites.

Kit Linkous said...

So fun!!!! Rome was amazing to me. I loved every second. And we weren't even there for Christmas street operas :( Oh well, next time!!
The pictures are gorgeous and making Kev ready to accept any random basketball offer that might come along to get us back there :)
Have fun with Mark, Aup and Teairsa!!!!