Tuesday, August 28, 2012

July 28th: The One-Year Birthday Extravaganza

Oh man, what a year!  On one hand, I can't believe it's gone so fast.  And on the other, I can't believe life has changed so much in just 1 year! 
Friends, Family, Coworkers
So we had a party.  And if there has ever been a reason to celebrate, it was Aug. 2011-July 2012.  It was a little crazy getting ready for everything...but that's very appropriate because it seems like "crazy" has kind of been a theme for us this year...and in the end, it turned out great and was all worth it (another theme).  :)
The kiddos weren't used to having such a large audience when they eat, but before too long they were getting down to business on their delicious chocolate cake (a la Costco). 
Before
During
After
Cake in the eyeballs.  Annnnd we're done. 
At the 1-year mark, I am just totally in love with these little girls.  

Savannah is getting ready to walk.  She LOVES music and immediately starts rocking out whenever she hears any.  She's a total ham and loves to squeal with laughter whenever we chase or tickle her.  She is happiest in any kind of water, is a mama's girl, and has crazy, crazy hair.  Savannah is such a sweet heart.  She's pretty easy-going and independent, and will just crawl away to go exploring around this huge house of ours. 
Baby's first baby...yummm
Lily is walking already and it cracks me up seeing such a little bitty person walking around like she owns the place.  She is so outgoing and will toddle around the house babbling and gesticulating, like she's bossing everyone around.  Many times she looks at you, just waiting for you to look back before breaking into a huge grin.  I love this little fake laugh/cackle she does when she hears other people laughing and just has to be a part of whatever is so funny.  Lily is curious, sweet, and full of spunk. And her dimples.  They kill me.
Lily carried her baby around 24/7 for the rest of the weekend
It's so fun to see Lily and Savannah interact and play.  Their eyes light up whenever they see each other and they definitely share a language all their own.  One of their favorite spots to hang out is on the stairs; climbing up, sliding down, throwing their toys and watching them bounce down, collecting them, rinse, repeat.   And whenever it gets too quiet for too long, my trouble-alarm starts beeping and more often than not they've learned some new trick together that means I need to step up my baby-proofing game.  

Life is really, really good and as much as I was looking forward to being a mom, I never imagined it could be so wonderful.  I'm so grateful for these little people in my life! 

P.S. and I did it: one year of breast feeding!!! Never thought we'd make it, but we did. :).

5 comments:

Felicia said...

Congrats! And happy birthday, girls!

Unknown said...

holy moley that looks like one heck of a party. good work!!

Marcie said...

The first year's the hardest, right? :) They sure are cute!

Deborah said...

I can't believe they're one!! They are so adorable!

Becca said...

You look so happy my dear friend! Mommy is a natural fit on you:) And your girls...they are beautiful and I just want to give them a big hug and play with them!

Congratulations on surviving your first year! And as for the breastfeeding all I can say is you are my hero!! I dislike it enough with one baby at a time...I can't imagine two!

We all miss you guys! Shaler reunion soon, huh?