Tuesday, February 2, 2010

We Are All Worms...

...But I do believe I am a glow worm.
~Winston Churchill
On our last trip to London, Rob and I went to the Cabinet War Rooms Museum. During WWII, and especially during German bombing raids, the British War Cabinet operated in top-secret underground rooms near the Parliament Building. These rooms, including the original furniture, equipment, and decorations, are now on display.

They also have an entire section of the museum dedicated to the life of Winston Churchill.
"If you're going through hell, keep going."
~Winston Churchill

He was a remarkable man, confident in his destiny, and convinced of the importance of his role in the battle against evil (e.g. Nazism & Hitler). If you want to learn more about him, The Last Lion by William Manchester is a great book.
"The optimist sees opportunity in every danger; the pessimist sees danger in every opportunity."
~Winston Churchill

Winston was a great orator, and was (obviously) famous for his memorable one-liners. Some of our other favorites include:

  • "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
  • "I am easily satisfied with the very best."
  • "This report, by its very length, defends itself against the risk of being read."
  • "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
  • "To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often."
  • "Golf is a game whose aim is to hit a very small ball into a even smaller hole, with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose."
And, most importantly:

"Never, never, never give up."

What are some of your favorite quotes? (They don't have to be from Good Ol' Winnie.)

4 comments:

The Wigginton Family said...

Jim says, "What you do in Cambridge, echoes with you in eternity." OK, so maybe that is ripped off (and then completely altered) from the Gladiator...but, it works I guess. When he started to say the quote, I thought he was going to say, "What you do in Cambridge, stays in Cambridge!" That works too.

PS--I think you should write a book. A long one. I'd buy it and I'd read it. You are a SUPER talented writer.

Unknown said...

man you are doing a lot of reading! i need to jump on that boat, why dont i like to read?

Mark and Aupreille said...

I enjoy reading Kierkegaard. Here's a link to some quick quotes of his:
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/S%C3%B8ren_Kierkegaard

Anonymous said...

Amiable fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.