Sunday, October 18, 2009

Home Sweet Cambridge 2.0

Now that we've got all of our ducks in a row....
...yuck yuck yuck...hmm, sorry...

Here's where we live! This is Queens' College boathouse, we live in one of the apartments on the second floor. We have a balcony...except we are on the opposite side of the boathouse (e.g. not facing the river Cam).
We love where we live. There are nice footpaths that run alongside the river for miles in both directions (we've experienced a vast number of those miles first hand getting ready for our Athens Marathon on Nov. 8!!). Also, we've learned that if one was to purchase a houseboat they could live on the river Cam all year long without having to pay any kind of property tax. Evidently it's a pretty popular lifestyle choice.
Cambridge also has an abundance of huge parks (more specifically known as a Common, Piece, or Green). For example, in one direction along the river is Midsummer Common. In the other direction, we walk through Jesus Green to get to the center of town. As you can see from the number of pictures we've taken, it's pretty picturesque....(punny, I know).
Lastly, Rob wants me to document an experience we had while taking some of these pictures. This swan came swimming up the river and kept coming until it was right in front of us. Of course, I had to go be IN the picture with it to we prove how close it was. Obediently, I go sit down next to it. When I stand up I realize I've sat in a large pile of swan/duck poop. Rob thinks it was worth it for the picture (and hilarious in its own right)...I'm not so sure.

Here are some more...the slide show might take awhile to load completely...but if you have the patience to wait, enjoy!

11 comments:

Katie and Christian said...

So fun! Looks like you guys are having a great adventure! Love the swan incident- sorry Christa. Miss you guys!

Kate said...

Wow, you live in an amazing place! I'm so excited that you guys are doing the Athens marathon! That is coming up, are you feeling ready? I expect a full report and pictures.

Christy said...

I love the pictures! It sounds like you and Rob are adjusting well to living in England. :-)

Matt said...

Wow! What a beautiful life you're having over there!
Sure miss you two. Thanks for the well wishes to our baby.

Alyson said...

It makes me miss it already! I hope you guys won't mind the early morning rowing practices. Your place sounds perfect.

Unknown said...

WOW! I am so jealous that you are in a part of the world that experiences the fall season!I wore long sleeves today but im totally regretting it b/c now im sweating to death.

Mark and Aupreille said...

We are so excited to see you guys! It looks beautiful!

Megan Holdaway said...

Love the update! And Cambridge. I punted on the River Cam once, did I ever tell you that? I am dying to come back... maybe sometime soon :) Keep updating and let's chat again soon!

Amanda+Jonathan said...

That might be the most beautiful place to live ever. And I thought Shaler was perfect...

The Francis' said...

So pretty... I hope we can get out to visit before you are done with school... BTW we are are getting a house in Salt Lake and it has an extra bed. hint hint :)

Mama KK said...

Glad y'all are making the most of your special time there in Cambridge! What a wonderful place to live this year! Love, Mom