Saturday, August 24, 2013

The 2-Year Break

We learned by sad experience this month that it is very, very, very common for 2-year olds to break bones...by doing nothing other than being a 2-year old!

A week before her birthday, Lily was running, tripped, and fell on our kitchen floor.  The end.  No big deal, right?  Except she wouldn't stop crying and wouldn't put any weight on her leg.  And when she wouldn't even watch a show we knew something was really wrong.
We took her to the urgent care center and sure enough, she had fractured her right shin!  Prognosis: 4 weeks in a purple (waterproof) cast and she should be as good as new. 
This is the first time ever she's fallen asleep while normal life proceeds around her.
The first 2 weeks were pretty rough.  She wouldn't put any weight on her cast and got frustrated quickly with not being able to move around like she was used to.  We were both very, very, very happy at the beginning of week 3 when she finally realized that her leg didn't hurt anymore and first started hobbling, then walking, then running around.
Lily the Casted Cowgirl

This week, when the cast finally came off, she barely noticed anything had changed.  Now I just want to wrap these girls in bubble-wrap for the next few weeks.  Because as fun as hauling around a crippled toddler in my 8th month of pregnancy was, I can only imagine how fun it would be during this last month!  Anybody want to help me cover my house in pillows? 

5 comments:

Mary Lou said...

Christa and Rob....
Aw!! I love that picture of Lily asleep on the chair!! Precious!! ;)
I am so sorry that this occurred!! But I'm glad she is all better!! ;-D
--Raelyn

Katherine Lewis said...

So sad but also really cute! I'm glad to hear its healing well. I had no idea so many 2 years broke bones. But, can we talk about the fact that you're 8 months pregnant?!? I'm so happy for you. 3 kids 2 and under should be no problem at all. You're a total champ!

Suzannah said...

Poor little girl! Who knew that you could fracture a bone by falling on the floor? Hope you have a more relaxing month this month.

Mary Lou said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Oh poor Lily! And poor you! One month to go!!!! I'll trade you spots?? eh??