Thursday, May 2, 2013

Olde Oaks Boys Version 3.0

The third annual Olde Oaks Boys reunion happened during March.
This year's crew: Rob, Ben, Gavin, Grant, Andrew (aka Thor) , Autrey, Jeremy, Taylor
I'm starting to realize why, every time my parents saw some of their old college buddies, they insisted they didn't feel like any time had passed....when CLEARLY (from my perspective), they were a bit delusional reliving the glory days.

I feel like hardly any time has passed since we were all in college together...7+ years and 10+ kids later.  Someday Savannah and Lily will want to give me a good dose of reality!
The Group
People started rolling in on Friday night, but the weekend didn't really get started until Saturday.  It was a full day.  The morning started with cinnamon rolls, and then was mostly spent enjoying the beautiful spring weather in the backyard with volleyball, a kiddie pool, and some golf in Rob's personal driving range.
Lounging
In the afternoon we had hot dogs/hamburgers for lunch, followed by a birthday celebration for Andrew and Brant.
I was SO HAPPY for an excuse to buy Costco's Great American Chocolate Cake.  So, so good.
And an Olde Oaks Boys reunion wouldn't be complete without at least a few taste tests.  This year was:
  • French Fries: Sonic vs Whataburger vs Jack-in-the-Box vs Burger King vs McDonalds.  Winner: McDonalds.  Runner-up: Burger King/Jack-in-the-Box
  • Diet vs Regular Soda; could you really tell the difference?  Verdict: Yes.  But some people just have a fondness for a chemical aftertaste, so they remained loyal to their diet sodas.  
  •  Cereal: Name brand vs Generic.  Verdict: Generic cereals were sweeter and crunchier.  We could tell a difference but the group was split with which they preferred. 
A table full of french fries
And to finish the day off, we put the kids to bed, picked up a babysitter, and went out for some frozen yogurt and a killer game of Laser Tag.  I don't remember who the winner was, but I do know that Shilo has vowed to practice so that next year "EasyTarget" will NOT be such an easy target!  :) 
It really was a pretty exhausting day. 
Sunday, most of the crew was gone, but the Goggins' and Jones' came to church with us before heading home. 
Practically Cousins: Savannah, Sloan, Adele, Lily

And just because it blows my mind that this was life just 1 year ago:
And Adele was just an itty, bitty baby, so she was probably sleeping during this picture. 
I'm pretty sure we all spent at least a week getting caught up on sleep, but it was SO WORTH IT!  We're so glad everyone made the effort to come, and every time we do this I keep thinking, "Why don't we all see each other more often??"  Can't wait until next year!

And a big thank you for Diane and Amanda for loaning us your kids' sunglasses to keep our girls quiet during church!
Cool as a cucumber
How YOU doin'?

2 comments:

Marcie said...

Lots of little kids in those pictures! We had a really fun time, thanks for hosting everyone!

Mary Lou said...

Christa and Rob....
I just discovered your Blog. I, too, was born with craniosynostosis, among other birth defects. I am now 29 years old. I love, love, love to write!! I do live with learning disabilities. Unfortunately. But, I'm slowly being taught, that, in so many ways, as Tony Stark/Iron Man said in "The Avengers", "It's a... terrible privilege.". Everything is. It's my cross to bear. ;-D
Savannah--I love that name!!--is beautiful!! No, wait. As my phrase goes, she is Beautifully Unique!! ;-D
Lily, of course is also pretty!! Twins!! Wow!! I have somehow always wanted a set of twins!! Because I am crazy!! Hee, hee, hee.... ;)
Keep posing. I want to watch Savannah--and Lily--grow up!! ;-D
--Raelyn