Saturday, October 4, 2008

All we need is 2 wheels and an open road....

I don't know if y'all have heard about this, but apparently Lance Armstrong is making a comeback! I guess 7 Tours de France titles and countless hours in the saddle haven't satisfied his thirst for road biking.

Rob and I understand how he feels...
After doing a lot of research and debating back and forth, we purchased early Christmas (and birthday and Valentines Day and St Patricks Day and Yom Kippur) presents for ourselves: we bought road bikes!
After getting completely outfitted and broken in, Rob and I went on a more extended bike trip Saturday morning. We headed north from Cambridge, all of the way up the MinuteMan Bike Commuter path, then did a big loop to take in some beautiful scenery, a cranberry bog, and Great Brook Farm (where they make awesome icecream from their own cows). It was probably one of the best Saturdays we've had in Cambridge so far!
At the end of the trip we checked out our nifty cyclocomputers to see stats about our ride. We ended up logging 45 miles, with a total trip time of about 4 1/2 hours (including stops), and hit a top speed of 32 mph. The traffic-rebel, Rob, thought it was pretty cool that we were breaking the speed limit on our bikes. We finished tired but totally exhilarated and happy; biking is definitely a lot easier on the body than running and it's such a rush!
We're addicted. Too bad it doesn't look like we'll have much more time for biking before the cold, cold winter sets in. Maybe we should retire from this whole responsible adult/school/work stuff and give Lance a run for his money....

8 comments:

Sarah Lenhart said...

Isn't the super fresh homemade ice cream out here amazing? I highly recommend checking out the Kimball Farm and Bedford Farm ice cream stands in the Lexington/Concord/Bedford area if you haven't already done so.

The biking sounds like so much fun! I've suddenly been wanting Khale and I to get bikes so we can do some more athletic touring around.

ellen said...

biking and ice cream -- you can't go wrong! you rode right by where i live. the minuteman trail is the best.

Linkous said...

how fun! you guys look fantastic in the gear, too. born bikers if I ever saw any. :) 45 miles on a bike right now, though, makes me tired just thinking about it (if you saw the size of my belly you'd understand) love you guys

Unknown said...

Man you guys are so cool! saturday bike ride around the outskirts of boston. What a great saturday! We had our house treated for termites, almost as cool ;)

The Francis' said...

WOW!! That's all I got to say about that... If I rode 5 miles right now I'd probably die! You guys are insane. Miss you guys!!

Bryan

Unknown said...

K this is probably a little weird since we have never met, and you just know my husband! But when we read your blog I was so jealous we were looking for a long time at the specialized dolce! I love it, and living in Boston is one of my life goals! That sounds like the perfect day! Just thought I would let you know! haha
Lindsay Hogan

Brandon said...

Rob + Biker Shorts = Watch Out!

Mama KK said...

Y'all are among the few that look cute in your helmets!