Friday, June 27, 2008

Poncho Verde Churrascaria

Last week my Grandma Emma, my mom, and my two sisters, Katie and Jacqueline, came to visit us here in Sao Paulo. One (of the many) things we did while they were here was go to dinner at the Poncho Verde Churrascaria.
A churrascaria, for those poor souls who've never experienced this first hand, is a Brazilian steakhouse. They usually have a large salad bar/buffet with plenty of unusual and tasty foods like hearts of palm, or bird eggs, or fried bananas to accompany the main dish: meat. See, as soon as you sit down at your table and get yourself situation, waiters (in this case dressed in traditional Gaucho outfits) will start coming around with big skewers of luscious, perfectly seasoned meat. (see pictures below)

The key to these churrascarias is to pace yourself. I always make the mistake of filling up too much on the salad bar so I can't fully appreciate all of the great meat. Another mistake is to feel bad saying "No" to the waiters. You can't feel bad turning down some lovely Pork Loin to save room for the melt-in-your-mouth, meat-isn't-supposed-to-taste-like-candy Picanha that is on its way over to your table.

Stan has definitely mastered the art of saving room for the Picanha and I'm doing my best to learn!

On the left side of the table (from front to back) is Grandma Emma, my mom, and Katie...Emily is hidden behind Katie. Right side is me, Stan, KK, and Jacqueline. Rob is taking the picture (of course!)
After dinner we got a behind-the-scenes tour of the restaurant. This is where the magic happens. By the way, Jacqueline had a crush on the waiter on the right...he was a man who can cook, is not afraid to wear gaucho pants and a neck kerchief, and he even knew all of the english words for the meat on his skewers! She fell--hook, line and sinker. Apparently they keep most of the meat cold after they've already skewered it. That way it's easier to adjust the amount of meat they cook on a given night to the amount of people at the restaurant. I guess you can't tell just by looking at us (we're all wearing sweatshirts), but by the end of the night we felt like our stomachs were pretty much at full capacity. I couldn't quite convince Rob to carry me to the car so I mustered the strength somehow and got there myself. Sigh...

7 comments:

Mark and Aupreille said...

That's so great that your family came down to Brazil to visit you guys, very nice! Oh and yummy yummy yummy. I just wish they had a churrascaria in Iowa, but alas we just have to wait until we go to Texas or Utah again.

So, I'm thinking that red sweatshirt has got to be your favorite and it's a great color on you.

Natalie said...

A big, baggy sweatshirt is the only way to go when you're eating Brazilian style! :) Glad your family got to come enjoy some of the goodness that Brazil has to offer! :)

My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

Sarah Lenhart said...

Khale would have loved this fabulous meal. He went to a Brazilian steakhouse in D.C. a few years ago and ever since then I've heard him often reminisce about the succulent meat that seems to endlessly go around the room. We'll have to come visit you guys in Brazil one day so he can get a more genuine experience.

Mama KK said...

Que coisa boa!!! And one of my happy memories was playing Kubb on the beach! Go Grandma Emma! Another was taking all your family down to 25 de março to shop their last day (Tuesday).

Linkous said...

I'm really missing that samon with the maracuja sauce.....Ok so can we trade the trip to Alaska for one down to Brazil? :) j/k, I'm sure the king crab is going to be just as divine :). Can you tell I'm pregnant and ALWAYS HUNGRY?!

Unknown said...

i'm so glad you told me about your blog loser! donde esta roberto en estes peliculas? (oh wait...thats movie, whats the word for photo?) Sorry, i know no portuguese, this is as close as i can get. I miss you girlie!

Ben said...

You guys rock! I can't believe that you get to 1. eat churrascaria, 2. executive class treatment (sounds like a good incentive to sell your soul, and better than driving across the country), 3. meet President Monson, and 4. are you taking helicopter rides from your compound yet? Sheesh. All we've done this summer is have a baby....but she is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Her name is Lydia.
PS: you've inspired us to take a boat ride when we get back to New England.